Levulan Photodynamic Therapy – BlueLight Acne Treatments – Phoenix, Scottsdale
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) is the most recent advance in acne therapy. Perfect Skin Laser Center was one of the first clinics in Arizona to offer Levulan Photodynamic treatments for acne . Levulan Photodynamic Therapy has been one of our most popular procedures for treating acne in men and women of all ages from all over Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler area. Levulan Photodynamic acne treatments involve the application of Levulan ( 5-aminolevulinic acid), a photosensitizing agent, which is then activated with blue-light. Levulan Photodynamic Therapy results in significant improvement in moderate to severe cystic acne.
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy -Levulan Acne Skin Care Treatment
Blue Light Levulan Photodynamic Therapy for acne treatment involves three mechanisms of action against acne. Levulan PDT inactivates the bacteria that trigger acne, exfoliates the skin to unclog pores, and the most exciting mechanism is that levulan treatment shuts down the sebaceous glands in the skin. This is exciting because sebaceous glands are the root cause in the formation of acne so it has a long lasting effect even on severe acne.
Blue Light Levulan Photodynamic Therapy can even work in patients who have failed accutane. Accutane also targets the sebaceous gland but accutane has fairly toxic side effects. Levulan is a much safer alternative to accutane treatment.
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy – Skin Rejuvenation – For Aging Sun-Damaged Skin
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy is the most recent advance in photo-rejuvenation. Levulan Photodynamic skin rejuvenation involves the application of Levulan which is then activated with IPL and blue-light. This results in significant improvement in precancerous conditions such as AKs, actinically damaged skin, sun damaged skin, moderate to severe cystic acne and potentially superficial skin cancers. Additionally it improves wrinkles, pore size, skin texture, pigmentation, rosacea, sebaceous hyperplasia, and potentially prevents the development of skin cancer.
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy for:
- Removing precancerous skin lesions
- Preventing skin cancer
- Improving wrinkles
- Improving pores
- Improving skin texture
- Improving pigmentation
- Treating moderate to severe cystic acne
- Treating sebaceous hyperplasia
- Article – Levulan and IPL
- PhotoDynamic Therapy – The “Big Gun” for Resistant Acne
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy Procedure:
- A nurse or aesthetician will apply the medicine.
- After 1-2 hours levulan will be activated with IPL (intense pulse light) and/or blue-light.
- You may be given an anesthetic topical cream applied prior to the light exposure.
- You will be given special goggles to wear to protect your eyes during the treatment.
- During the treatment you may feel stinging, tingling, prickling, or burning of the lesions, but this should go away after the treatment.
- You should stay out of the sun and bright light as much as possible for the next 48 hours
- The skin will turn red and swollen in the following 3-7 days
- Some crusting may be noted
- There should be some discomfort, but no significant pain.
- After 1 week, there might be some residual redness that will subside after a few days and can be covered with make up.
Levulan Photodynamic Therapy – revolutionizing how we perform skin rejuvenation and how we treat sun damaged skin. Come in for a free consultation today! Serving Phoenix Scottsdale Tempe Mesa Gilbert Chandler Arizona.
If you have questions about the Levulan® PDT system, you are not alone. Here are some of the questions other patients commonly ask about this advanced new treatment.
Will Levulan Photodynamic treatments cause any discomfort?
Probably. Many patients do report some:
• stinging and burning during the light treatment, usually plateauing in intensity at about 6 minutes into the treatment
• Swelling and temporary reddening immediately following light treatment
This discomfort usually occurs immediately following Levulan Photodynamic treatment. Any swelling and redness will begin to subside soon after treatment and will be gone in a few days to a few weeks.
After the Levulan® Kerastick® has been applied, is there anything else I should do?
Be careful not to:
• Wash the Levulan® Kerastick® off your face or scalp
• Rub or touch the treated area excessively before treatment with the BLU-U®light
What should I do after the Levulan BLU-U® light treatment?
• Be careful to avoid exposure to the sun for a day
• Avoid extremes of temperature and wind (if possible)
• Avoid hot water or other potential irritants
After the Levulan Photodynamic treatment has been completed, what should I discuss with my doctor?
Be sure to ask your doctor about:
• The care, cleaning, and maintenance of the treated areas
• Any follow-up visits he or she recommends
• Ways that you can prevent sun damage in the future
• The use of moisturizing creams or lotions that might be appropriate after treatment
with the Levulan® PDT system
• If you have any questions at all about the Levulan® PDT system or your treatment with it,
be sure to call your doctor